Our International Researchers
The Cluster of Excellence Quantum Universe is the workplace of excellent researchers from many different nations. We see this cultural diversity as a true enrichment. However, we are aware that guest researchers and new cluster members who join us from abroad face specific challenges in which we want to provide them with the best possible support.
If you have just arrived in Hamburg or if you are still abroad and planning to join Quantum Universe soon, there are Welcome Services available to advise you on all topics that are important for your stay in Hamburg. The DESY Welcome Services are designated for those with a DESY contract, and for the rest, the Welcome Service of Universität Hamburg offers support by providing information, advice and individualized assistance. Their service includes:
- Curating checklists
- Support concerning accommodation and residence regulations
- Taxes, insurances, health care
- Administrative procedures
- Banking/opening an account
- Child care, school, activities for children
- Mobile telephony/internet
- Language courses, culture, sports
Here are further services designed to support international researchers and help them settle in Hamburg:
- Diversity Days: Every year the four Clusters of Excellence at Universität Hamburg organize a workshop or a panel discussion with an international focus, in the context of the University's Diversity Days. This year we talked about International Arrival at Universität Hamburg!
Students, PhDs & Alumni: PIASTA promotes internationalisation and intercultural exchange at Universität Hamburg under the motto: "Intercultural discovery, interdisciplinary learning, informed study!"
Our LGBTQIA* Researchers
LGBTQI* stands for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, and Intersex. Quantum Universe welcomes all LGBTQI* researchers to the cluster. We stand against discrimination of any kind and we encourage a culture of openness. In this spirit, the cluster has cooperated with Universität Hamburg to provide a platform in the form of a rainbow network: Science and beλond- The LGBTQIA* Network. If you are part of the community and looking for networking opportunities with other LGBTQI* people, or an ally looking for ways to support the community, you are welcome to join "Science and beλond". It is designed to host regular social events, informative impulses, workshops for empowerment, and raising awareness. If you would like to participate in the LGBTQI* network, you can register online here.